Hydration: Why It Is Important
You’ve probably heard it said hundreds of times before that keeping hydrated is one of the most important things you can do for your health. Without water, our body cannot function properly, and you’ll find you lack the energy you need to complete your workout at our gym in Mobile, AL. Let’s take a look at everything you need to know about good hydration and some of the different ways to keep hydrated that don’t require just drinking gallons of water each day.
What Does Water Do For Your Body?
Did you know that your body is composed of roughly 60% water? Water helps your body perform many different tasks, including digestion, circulation, transporting nutrients around your body, and maintaining your body temperature. On top of that, your blood is made up of over 90% water, and it helps to transport oxygen throughout the body. Your brain and kidneys communicate with each other via the posterior pituitary gland, which tells your body whether you need to urinate or keep water within your body. This also triggers feelings of thirst, which you should always listen to. Here at Braxton Gilbert Fitness Mobile, we know there are so many benefits of water to your body, which is why we always encourage everyone we work with to keep hydrated before, during, and after a heavy leg day or any type of workout.
Sign up for your first free workout!
For individuals who exercise regularly, water helps to energize their muscles. When your cells aren’t hydrated, they’ll shrivel up and cause muscle fatigue. This will result in a lower performance level during your time with different types of trainers in our gym. It’s recommended that you drink a good amount of water two hours before your training session and then hydrate throughout the workout as well. You’ll also be pleased to know that being well hydrated can improve the look of your skin, as being dehydrated can make your skin look more wrinkled and dry. Once your body has taken in enough water, your kidneys then take over and will ensure you excrete the excess liquid.
Benefits Of Drinking Water
There are dozens of reasons why everyone should ensure they are drinking enough water each day. These are just a few of the reasons we encourage anyone training at Gilbert Fitness to keep well hydrated throughout the day:
- Keeps your joints well lubricated – When you remain dehydrated over a longer period of time, you’ll find that you may experience more joint pain, and your joints’ ability to absorb shock is reduced.
- Your skin will look healthier and more radiant – Dehydration can increase your chance of wrinkling and various skin disorders.
- Regulates your body temperature – As water is stored within the middle layer of your skin, it works to cool off the body when you are exercising with different types of trainers.
- Improved digestion – When you are dehydrated, you’ll be more likely to experience constipation and digestive issues.
- Flushes out body waste – Water is critical for urinating and sweating.
- Maintains your blood pressure – When someone is dehydrated, their blood is likely to become thicker. In turn, this can increase their blood pressure, which comes with a whole host of risks to the body.
- Weight loss – Water is often considered to be an excellent tool for anyone looking to lose weight. By consuming an adequate amount of water throughout the day, you’ll naturally feel fuller and eat smaller portions during mealtimes.
Disadvantages of Not Drinking Water
As you can see, there are many reasons to ensure you stay hydrated every day. On top of the benefits of staying hydrated, these are just a few of the issues you may experience when you don’t consume enough water:
- Constant headaches – When you become dehydrated, you’ll often find that the first sign from your body is a headache. Before your next personal training session in Mobile, make sure you are well hydrated to avoid this from occurring.
- Irregular bowel function – If you find you regularly experience constipation or hard stools, this is often a sign of dehydration. It may also come along with cramps and abdominal pain.
- Tiredness – Without enough water, your energy levels will often drop, and you may experience brain fog. While many people will opt for a cup of coffee when they are feeling this way, they often just need a glass of water instead.
- A dry mouth – Your body will be unable to produce saliva without the correct amount of water. This can make it challenging to do daily activities, such as talking, breathing, and swallowing.
Sign up for your first free workout!
Different Ways To Stay Hydrated
While drinking enough water is certainly the first step to staying hydrated, this isn’t the only option when it comes to avoiding dehydration. One of the reasons we recommend primarily focusing on your water consumption is that it contains no sugar or calories, so you can drink it throughout the day. Aim for at least eight glasses of water a day, but increase this on days when you are working out at Braxton Gilbert Fitness Mobile. In small doses, tea and coffee can also be hydrating for your body. Of course, you’ll want to ensure you aren’t overdoing this, as too much caffeine can dehydrate your body
For anyone who struggles to drink enough water, milk is another hydrating drink you could try. It also contains a good amount of electrolytes, so it’s ideal for drinking after an intense session at our gym in Mobile, AL. After working out, you may also want to consider oral hydration solutions, which are made up of sugar, electrolytes, and water. If you are feeling a bit hungry but know you haven’t consumed enough water today, fruits and vegetables are a hydrating snack. They are made up of 80-99% water, and your best options include berries, melons, oranges, lettuce, and grapes.
When working out at Braxton Fitness, we always encourage all of our clients to keep hydrated throughout their sessions. As you can see, there are many health benefits of keeping hydrated, and by increasing your water intake each day, you’ll soon notice a huge difference in your energy levels and overall health.