You’ve no doubt heard various celebrities and personal trainers discuss their love for intermittent fasting. Over the past few years, this way of eating has become more popular than ever. Let’s take a look at how you could incorporate intermittent fasting into your daily routine and how it will benefit your training sessions at Gilbert Fitness.
The Different Ways to Fast
Intermittent fasting refers to a pattern of eating that switch between periods of eating and fasting. It’s not focused on the foods that you eat, but on when you choose to eat them. The most common way to follow this method is with a 16-hour fast each day, leaving eight hours during which you can eat. Most people will start their day with lunch instead of breakfast and then stop eating in the evening hours after dinner.
However, some people like to take whole days off from eating, opting to fast twice a week for 24 hours and normally eat the remainder of the time. You might stop eating after dinner one day and then start eating again at dinner time the following day. Another popular fasting method is the 5:2 diet, which involves only consuming a small number of calories two days a week and eating normally the rest of the week. It’s all about finding a solution that works for you, and that feels safe and healthy to support your daily activities.
All of these methods usually result in some weight loss, but that’s only the case if you don’t eat more in the hours you are eating. Weight loss isn’t the only reason for opting to follow intermittent fasting plans, and you’ll find that there are many other benefits you’ll experience when you start following this routine.
The Benefits of Intermittent Fasting
The main reason you may want to consider this type of eating plan alongside your training at Braxton Fitness is for weight loss. As well as working with different types of trainers, you’ll find that it can help you to lose weight and belly fat, which is something many people struggle with. It’s believed that intermittent fasting can reduce insulin resistance, which lowers your blood sugar levels and can protect against type 2 diabetes. It also protects you from other chronic diseases and cancer by reducing inflammation in the body.
Intermittent fasting is known to improve your heart health. It may reduce LDL cholesterol and blood triglycerides, which are risk factors for heart disease in the future. By following this type of routine, you’ll increase the brain hormone BDNF, which helps to protect you from Alzheimer’s disease and grow new nerve cells. It’s also believed to be an excellent tool for anti-aging, which is something we are all looking to benefit from.
Many people who start intermittent fasting find that they have increased energy and focus for working with different types of personal trainers. Individuals find their endurance and motor coordination are improved, as they can sleep better at night. You may find that your life feels simpler when you start to intermittent fast. It takes less time and energy to prepare your meals, which is something we could all benefit from. To experience these benefits, you still need to eat a good amount during the time you are eating and consume healthy foods. Make sure you remain hydrated even when you aren’t eating to maintain good health while intermittent fasting.
Sign up for your first free workout!
Top Tips for Intermittent Fasting
Are you thinking about giving intermittent fasting a go? While we believe this is a great diet for many of our Braxton Gilbert Fitness Mobile clients to try, you’ll want to ensure it’s a safe and effective solution for your needs. These are a few of our top recommendations for anyone just getting started with intermittent fasting:
- If you have any type of medical condition or are currently taking medication, we recommend consulting a medical professional before starting this diet. You want to ensure this is a safe and effective solution for your personal needs.
- Make sure you keep hydrated during the day. Intermittent fasting permits water, tea, and coffee, as long as the drinks aren’t adding calories to your diet. You shouldn’t add sugar to your coffee when fasting, but a small amount of milk or cream is allowed in some cases.
- You can still take supplements when intermittent fasting. However, make sure any supplements or medication you are taking are consumed with a meal where necessary.
- A good way to get started is to just fast when you don’t have the time or energy to cook. This is a good way to build up your tolerance for this type of eating pattern.
- Never skip meals to the extent that you feel sick or dizzy. If you don’t feel good when following the plan one day, make sure you consume some food straight away to avoid doing damage to your body.
- Experiment with different approaches to intermittent There’s no one size fits all approach to this way of eating. Try out different times or days where you fast to see which works best with your routine. You may find that you enjoy fasting on days where you are resting from training in our Mobile, AL, gym, but it’s all about finding a solution that works for your life.
Intermittent fasting is incredibly popular with different types of trainers across the country. However, we recommend following the advice listed above and consulting a medical professional where needed before starting to fast. You still need to think about what you are eating on a daily basis, as this eating plan doesn’t allow you just to eat whatever you want. If you want to see great results, make sure you incorporate this eating plan with your training sessions at Braxton Fitness. Our team will be able to work with you to create a training plan that works with your new way of eating. Contact us today to discuss your training needs and how working with our team at Braxton Gilbert Fitness can help you to achieve your goals this year.